Medical Electives & Public Health
Our programs are based on removing all the logistical issues surrounding international medical internships for you. We want you to fully concentrate on your training. We are committed to ensuring that the future doctors of tomorrow can experience the diverse and evolving nature of healthcare delivery in Latin America first-hand. We also want you to enjoy one of the most eclectic cultures and landscapes of the world! We are partners with a hand-picked selection of first-class private and public hospitals.
Our international Medical Electives are active roles. You will be interacting with patients within the restrictions of this sector. We have two requirements:
· Basic Spanish language by the time you start the program (equivalent to 2 years high school study)
· Minimum of 2 years studying Medicine at university and/or clinical experience
We offer Medical Electives in the following areas:
Accident & Emergency, General Surgery, Pediatrics, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Clinical Medicine and Psychiatry.
You must have completed at least 2 years of Medical School to be eligible for our Medical Electives.
We also require that you have some Spanish language skills. By this we mean at least 2 years Spanish language study during High School (equivalent of GCSE in the UK). Alternatively, if you have no Spanish language skills and you wish to complete our Medical Electives, we recommend an intensive 2 week+ language course in Colombia immediately before starting your Medical Elective abroad. We will arrange this for you with our partner university.
We offer programs starting from 2 weeks long up to 24 weeks.
Please note that successful Medical Elective candidates must purchase a Biological hazard insurance in Colombia if visiting hospitals (approx 30USD). Interns might also need to bring or buy basic medical equipment such as scrubs, a stethoscope, etc.
Responsibilities may include:
- Recording and analysing a patient’s diagnostics
- Researching and reporting on clinical studies
- Performing lab research
- Communicating with patients directly to collect background information (bilingual skills preferred)
- Assisting doctors with clinical needs inside the facility
Interns have previously been placed with:
- Hospital Savaneta: is a major public hospital located in Medellin, Colombia with a national reputation for excellence. The hospital provides public health care for the inhabitants of Colombia’s 2nd largest city and has a large team of dedicated resident doctors. We are proud to place our medical students in this hospital after extended negotiations with the regional government. Each medical student has a direct doctor supervisor within the hospital.
- Universidad Remington: Remington University has more than 100 years of history making it a part of the social change in Medellin and providing quality higher education. We have placed past interns within laboratories focusing on researching tropical illnesses.
The choice to pursue a career in Public Health is an admirable one and means that you will be making an important contribution to societal well-being. Our Public Health internships are designed to help you gain practical hands-on experience in a variety of roles including medical research, clinical trials, medical policy, fundraising & advocacy, and outreach to promote awareness.
Our partners include a varied selection of NGOs that each focus on a specific illness with the goal of conducting research to improve treatment while spreading awareness among the public. These placements provide a uniquely immersive opportunity for candidates interested in working alongside experts to learn about certain conditions such as cancer, cystic fibrosis, drug addiction, and sight loss.
We also work with clinical trials administrators and charitable hospital foundations, meaning there is a range of options well-suited to candidates who envision a future in nursing, medical research, public health advocacy, or another healthcare related sector. A Public Health internship means you will have the necessary competitive edge when it comes to seeking a position in this field or applying to medical school.
Example hospital of where we have placed interns in the past: Hospital Sabaneta
“E.S.E. Hospital Venancio Díaz Díaz”
Hospital Sabaneta is a major public hospital located in Medellin, Colombia, with a national reputation for excellence. The hospital provides public health care for the inhabitants of Colombia’s second city and has a large team of dedicated resident doctors. We are proud to have previously placed our Medical students in this hospital after extended negotiations with the regional government.
For more information about this dynamic career field in South America, read our blog post here.
Video testimonial: Christopher Foran interned at Clínica Soma
Example Program Participant: Christopher Foran, an American Medical student at Thomas Jefferson University, discusses his time in Colombia working in the emergency department at Clínica Soma.