Your internship in Melbourne, Australia, is the perfect blend of culture, adventure and commerce. Our Australian internships give you the chance to work in the skyscrapers, ride the trams, and relax on the beaches of this dynamic and diverse city. Melbourne is the home for your ambitions and adventures as you boost your career in this friendly and fascinating country.
Our internships in Australia allow program participants to experience their chosen fields and fast-track their career in a globalized context, building the international networks and experiences that are foundational for future leaders. Our Australia internship program is hugely beneficial to a resume as Melbourne is a commercial powerhouse, Australia’s busiest port, and home to the headquarters of five of Australia’s ten largest corporations. It is also Australia’s artistic heart and the center of its creative industries. Melbourne’s status as an international food destination means that it is host to annual food festivals, pop-up restaurants from Michelin chefs and the coffee capital of the world. Melbourne is also a leader in biotechnology, publishing, finance, fashion, logistics, technology, marketing, and many other industries. Melbourne is also Australia’s events capital and is home to a full calendar of sporting events including the Australian Open Tennis tournament and the Melbourne Cup.
CV/resume workshops, professional development training, classes and career mentoring are all included in the program to make sure that you have both the structure and confidence to realize your potential in an international context.
Due to the exclusivity of our partner companies, it must be noted that our program is selective.
As Featured In:
About Melbourne, Australia
From deserts to rainforests, from the Great Barrier Reef to Uluru, Australia is a huge and varied country. Its beaches, weather, wildlife and people make Australia the ultimate friendly travel destination while Melbourne is one of the safest cities in the world to work, live and study. Melbourne has achieved 97.5/100 on the Economist’s ‘City Livability Index’, the highest of any city, while the Economist Intelligence Unit has named Melbourne the “world’s most livable city” for the last five years running.
Melbourne is a young and vibrant city with forty two per cent of its residents born overseas and a median age of twenty eight. This fresh, cosmopolitan context provides the ideal setting for your international internship program.
Australia is one of the world’s most secure and prosperous countries while Melbourne is home to Australia’s top ranked University and boasts the highest density of commercial art galleries and museums in the world. The multicultural, hospitable city center is surrounded by national parks, beautiful beaches and incredible wildlife. Whether you want to visit the penguins at Phillip Island, tour the region’s great vineyards with the local kangaroos or pass koalas as you drive the Great Ocean Road, the opportunity for adventure is never far away.
The Australian internship program includes quality internship placement, accommodation, trips, social events, and 24/7 support from a local team who love their country and can give you insider tips on things to see and do. We provide you with a seamless transition to working life and ensure that you have all the support that you need to settle into your placement. Our program is designed to ensure that you get the most from your experience in this incredible country– and that it serves as a catalyst for your career success.
We offer internship opportunities at fantastic companies and NGOs throughout Melbourne and partner with industry leaders and innovators across all career fields.
At just under two hundred years old, Melbourne is relatively young, but the discovery of gold in the region at the end of the 19th century shone a spotlight on the Victorian state capital inciting massive waves of immigration and propelling Melbourne to become the richest city in the world by 1890.
Melbourne has fully embraced the increasingly globalized workplace, fostered a young and dynamic business sector, and is proud of the rich history that makes this Australian city such a fascinating place.
The evidence of Melbourne’s role as Australia’s center of trade and opportunity is abundantly clear in its busy port, beautiful architecture and buzzing restaurant and arts scenes. Culturally diverse, as an Asian-focused export giant, yet anchored strongly in its European roots, Melbourne is the junction where East meets West. Melbourne is safe, prosperous and the quintessential Australian city: the ultimate location for your international internship and Australian adventure.
In Australia we use 2 visas. It is recommended to apply 6 months in advance for the Temporary Activity Visa while other visas can take 3 months or less to process.
1) 462 Working Holiday Visa
You must be at least 18 and under the age of 31. Some countries have a very finite quota under this visa. US citizens can apply online. A list of countries is included below. Visa cost: AUD$420
- China, People's Republic of
- Czech Republic
- San Marino
- Slovak Republic
- United States
2) Working Holiday visa (subclass 417)
You must be at least 18 and under the age of 31. Some countries have a very finite quota under this visa. US citizens can apply online. A list of countries is included below. Visa cost: AUD$450
- Republic of Cyprus
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China (including British National Overseas passport holders)
- Republic of Ireland
- Republic of Korea
- United Kingdom
– You must be at least 18 and under the age of 31. This allows people under 31 to come and spend a year including an internship for up to 6 months. If you are outside Australia when you apply, you must be outside Australia when the visa is granted. If you are in Australia when you apply, you must be in Australia when the visa is granted
– This visa is valid for the duration of the internship with a maximum length of six months
– New Zealand nationals do not need a visa to take part in our Australia program.
Your Melbourne housing offers accessibility and student-style living for your Aussie adventure. The student basic accommodation plan will provide everything you will need during your stay and enable you to live and enjoy the city with your fellow interns and other local and international students.
The location of the accommodation is in close proximity to Melbourne city center (less than a 30 minute walk), and close to trendy university neighborhoods and attractions.
The student housing includes a free gym, swimming pool and multiple student common areas.
Included in Every Program
The Intern Group program is more than an internship – it’s an entire experience. The program also includes everything that you need in order to make the most of your internship and your time in Melbourne. All you have to do is take that step and meet us in Melbourne. Our team will do the rest.
In addition to your guaranteed professional internship and housing, each Intern Group program includes the following:
Professional and cultural development resources to prepare you for a successful career. The focus of our international internship programs is on participants’ personal and professional growth. Alongside developing the independence and cultural awareness of living and working in a new country, our program places equal emphasis on the enhancement of the skills and experience required to fulfill their career ambitions. There are 5 key components to our professional and cultural development suite.
- Workplace skills & professional development workshop on all core communication and career skills required to succeed in your internship and future workplaces.
- Intercultural competence training series to prepare you for the cultural differences that you’ll face when interning in a foreign country.
- Self assessment HR tool typically reserved for CEO’s and corporate leaders, which provides you with a personality profile.
- A wide array of training materials to ensure you have the guidance and support to maximize the benefit of your internship experience
- A personalized, one hour session with a professional Alumni Success Coach once you complete the program. Our experienced career coaches specialize in a wide variety of topics ranging from landing your dream job, to Linkedin branding and negotiating salaries. You choose from our portfolio of experts who you would like to guide you through your next steps after your international internship. *Eligible for interns interviewed after June 1st, 2017.
A public transportation card. We provide you with a pre-loaded transportation card for the first 30 days of your program and which you can pre-load with credit after this first month.
A full calendar of social and cultural events. Our full-time local team in Melbourne know the city inside out and will show you the best of it! The Australian internship program includes the following events, free of charge for all participants:
- Welcome meal
Enjoy one of your first meals in the gastronomic capital of Australia.
- City tour
A walking tour of Melbourne to help locate yourself in your new home!
- Eureka SkyDeck experience
Tickets to the top of Melbourne’s tallest building to enjoy brilliant 360 degree views extending to the Dandenong mountain ranges.
- Australian wildlife experience
Get up and close with some of Australia’s endemic species.
- Ticket to a major local sporting event
Tickets to an event such as The Australian Open Tennis, Formula One Racing, A-league soccer match or a visit to the MCG (one of the world’s largest stadiums) to watch a game of International Cricket, or an Australian Rules Football match (depending on season).
- Australian vineyard day trip
Enjoy wine tastings at some of Australia’s most famous vineyards at The Mornington Peninsula or The Yarra Valley. Trip includes all wines, transport and lunch at a local restaurant.
An active international community in Melbourne where optional meet-ups are constantly planned. At all times of the year we have large numbers of talented participants on our programs from all over the world. You will immediately become part of an international community, providing you with friends and networks to last a lifetime!
Great support from our full-time local team with local expertise, from start to finish. Our full-time team in Melbourne are all incredibly proud of the city and they want to show you why! From organizing your airport pick-up and drop-off to arranging your accommodation, they will ensure that you have everything you need for your arrival and help you settle into this great city. Upon your arrival, you will receive a welcome package with city maps and important information.
Traveling abroad for your internship is a big step. The Intern Group partners with Talkspace to provide all our participants with fully anonymous access to a licensed online therapist for up to 3 months. This ensures you'll always have someone to talk to when adjusting to life in your new city.
Dates & Program fees
(June & July)
|Convert fees to|
Program fees do not include visa fees, flights, insurance or daily food & drink.
Summer fees apply to June and July starters.
Program Start Dates
Programs are available all-year-round on a rolling admission schedule. Due to the competitive nature of our program, all spots have been filled to capacity for summer 2018. The following start dates are currently available this year:
Alumni Discount – If you have already completed an internship program with us in the past, you are eligible for an Alumni Discount*.
*10% Alumni Discount for program start dates year round excluding peak season (June and July).
*5% Alumni Discount for program start dates in June and July.
Discount for Financial Aid Recipients
- If you are a college student in the USA receiving a Pell Grant, you are eligible for a 500 USD discount off any of our programs.
- If you are a college or university student in the UK receiving a Maintenance Loan of over £8200 or a Maintenance Grant, you are eligible for a 500 USD discount off any of our programs.
- If you are a college or university student in Australia receiving Youth Allowance, you are eligible for a 500 USD discount off any of our programs.
- If you are a college or university student in Canada receiving the Canada Student Grant (CSG), you are eligible for a 500 USD discount off any of our programs.
- If you are a college or university student in Hong Kong receiving the Tertiary Student Finance Scheme (TSFS) or Financial Assistance Scheme for Post-secondary Students (FASP), you are eligible for a 500 USD discount off any of our programs.
Please view our financing page for more information on funding your international internship program.
No application fee.
Submit application online.
Schedule an interview by phone or skype with our admissions team.
Evaluation of your interview and resume/CV by our admissions team.
If you are accepted into the program, congratulations!
Confirm your place in the program by making a non-refundable deposit of 600 British Pounds.
Half of balance due
50% of your remaining fee is due within 30 days of enrollment. Our money-back guarantee covers you through the entire process.
remaining balance due
You will be asked to pay the remaining balance within 21 days of having your internship role confirmed.
pack your bags
You are ready to start the adventure of a lifetime!