Visa information for California
One of the top benefits of interning with The Intern Group is the access interns have to our team of U.S. visa experts. Our team guides each intern through the process of obtaining the necessary visa. They’re there every step of the way, and make the visa process straightforward and stress-free.
There are many visa options for international students who are selected to take part in our U.S Internship Program.
The most common is the J-1 intern visa. You must:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Be enrolled as a full time student at a tertiary educational institute or have graduated within 12 months.
- Be studying towards/have obtained a degree.
- Secure a U.S internship that is related to your field of study and submit a Training Plan as completed by your Host Company in the USA. We will arrange all of this.
- All applicants must have sufficient return evidence in order to be approved by the US Embassy. Return evidence can be a letter from your University/College stating that you will return to resume or continue your studies after your internship in the USA. For applicants not intending to return to study, this should be a letter from an employer stating that when you return from the US there will be a job available for you. If you hold a property deed for a property this will also be accepted in some cases.
- Proof of funds. You must show proof that you will have access to at least $1,000 USD or the equivalent for every month during your internship in the USA. This can be in the form of original bank statements and/or a Guarantor’s letter. You must submit your proof of funds with your application and at your US Embassy interview.
- Be prepared to leave the US 30 days after completion. These days can only be used for the departure and for traveling.
The estimated cost of the sponsored J-1 intern visa is $1,311 USD which is not included in your Program fees. Please note that this could vary slightly depending on your program duration. You are also responsible for paying your embassy or consulate fee of $160 USD and may also need to purchase additional insurance.