Our China internship program offers comprehensive professional development and cultural immersion. We offer internships in Shanghai across all career fields and are proud to partner with a range of leading companies and organizations.
Shanghai is a fast-paced financial hub of the world that will teach you an immense amount. Our Shanghai internships offer successful applicants the chance to gain invaluable work experience in one of the biggest cities in China, all while making important global connections and boosting their resume and future career. The opportunities are countless. Our Shanghai internship program will set you apart in competitive job markets around the world.
Our program is much more than the internship itself. We also provide all of the stability and support necessary to ensure that your experience is seamless and rewarding. Accommodation, public transportation in Shanghai, internship mentoring, advanced professional training, cultural and social events, and 24/7 local support are all included in your program. You will form life-long friendships with other program participants and networks which span the globe, forge long-lasting connections in Shanghai, and become part of our powerful alumni network after the program.
If you are looking for an internship, Shanghai is one of the most dynamic cities in the world. Getting internship experience in China, one of the most influential countries in the world, touching all markets, will truly make you stand out as a candidate. An internship in Shanghai will be career-changing.
Due to the exclusivity of our partner companies, it must be noted that our China internships program is selective.
Apply today for an internship in Shanghai and gain a major head start through The Intern Group.
As Featured In:
About Shanghai, China
Once a sleepy fishing town on the Huang Pu River, then a cosmopolitan hub of vice and indulgence, later a city in reform stripped of its jewels, Shanghai is a city of resilience and change. Today, Shanghai exhibits one of the world’s busiest ports and is recognized as China’s commercial and industrial capital. While it is no longer the Shanghai of the 1920s, the foreign influence from the British, French and Americans is everywhere. Thus it is no surprise that Shanghai boasts the title of “The Paris of the East”.
There is no better destination for your international internship. On the world stage, Shanghai is influential in commerce, architecture, finance, manufacturing and much more. No matter your interests, the opportunities here are endless. Home to Lujiazui Finance and Trade Zone and the Bund, Shanghai is the place to be for budding business and finance professionals. For those pursuing careers in the creative industry, look no further. Shanghai is home to contemporary fashion designers and artists that are taking the world by storm. It’s no surprise that UNESCO names it City of Design. Let the effervescent fusion of East and West inspire you to think outside the box. There is truly something for everyone in Shanghai.
Walk down the west bank, also known as Puxi, and soak in the city’s rich history. Once a British and American settlement, and then the home of China’s most important financial institutions, the Bund flaunts an array of architectural styles ranging from Art Deco to Neo-classical. When you feel like you’ve traveled far enough through Shanghai’s colonial history, gaze across to the other side of the river and stand in awe of Pudong’s futuristic skyscrapers.
Venture up to the dizzy heights of the Shanghai Tower, Jin Mao Tower or the Oriental Pearl TV Tower to take your cultural exploration to the next level.
A true juxtaposition of the traditional orient and the booming Asia Pacific market, Shanghai is the ideal location for launching your career while having a cultural adventure. Progress at the speed of the Maglev, the world’s fastest train, with an internship in Shanghai. As China’s leader, Deng Xiaoping said, “if China is a dragon, Shanghai is its head”.
Private Bedroom in a Shared Accommodation
We offer interns in Shanghai accommodation in shared apartments with other interns and international students. You will have your own lockable private bedroom. All apartments are equipped with bedding, basic cooking utensils and WIFI internet service. We take care to make sure that all of our housing options are located within safe areas with a reasonable commute (about 30-60 minutes is normal) to your internship by bus, metro or walking.
Included in Every Program
All participants on The Intern Group program automatically benefit from a host of unique advantages.
In addition to a professional internship placement and housing, our Shanghai internship program provides you with the following:
A full array of top class professional development resources. The focus of our international internship programs is on participants’ personal and professional growth. Alongside developing the independence and cultural awareness of living and working in a new country, our program places equal emphasis on the enhancement of the skills and experience required to fulfill their career ambitions. There are 4 key components to our professional development suite.
- Workplace skills workshop focusing on many areas including professional development and core communication skills required to succeed in any environment
- Self assessment HR tool typically reserved for CEOs and corporate leaders
- A wide array of training materials to ensure you have the guidance and support to maximize the benefit of your internship experience.
- A personalized, one hour session with a professional Alumni Success Coach. Our experienced career coaches specialize in a wide variety of topics ranging from landing your dream job, to Linkedin branding and negotiating salaries. You choose from our portfolio of experts who you would like to guide you through your next steps after your international internship. *Eligible for interns interviewed after June 1st, 2017.
Transportation in Shanghai: We provide you with a pre-loaded transportation card for the first month of your stay, giving you free use of Shanghai’s metro system, buses and trains for your work commute! With your first month’s work commute covered, you can focus on settling into this amazing city and excelling in your internship.
A full calendar of social and cultural events: Our full-time local team in Shanghai knows the city inside out and will show you the best of it. The Shanghai internship program includes the following events:
- Welcome meal- Enjoy one of your first meals in the gastronomic capital of China.
- Chinese etiquette workshop-Tailored to prepare you for your internship experience in China, this workshop will cover topics focusing on practicalities including tips for building business relationships, importance of rank and seniority in China, gift giving, banquet protocols and many more!
- Guided Day Tour of Suzhou and Tongli- Enjoy a guided tour of Tongli, an ancient water town known for its picturesque canals, bridges and UNESCO World Heritage gardens.
- Shanghai Tower- Ticket to the world’s 2nd tallest building with a breath-taking view of the city.
- Chinese Cooking Class- Learn the arts of traditional Chinese cooking with an experienced chef. We guarantee you will leave Shanghai with a few secret recipes up your sleeve to impress your family and friends at home.
An active international community in Shanghai where optional meet-ups are constantly planned. At all times of the year we have large numbers of talented participants on our programs from all over the world. You will immediately become part of an international community, providing you with friends and networks to last a lifetime.
Great support from our full-time local team with local expertise, from start to finish. Our full-time team in Shanghai are all experts on the city and are incredibly proud of it– they want to show you why. They will organize your airport pick-up when you arrive in Shanghai as well as your airport drop-off at the end of your internship.
Traveling abroad for your internship is a big step. The Intern Group partners with Talkspace to provide all our participants with fully anonymous access to a licensed online therapist for up to 3 months. This ensures you'll always have someone to talk to when adjusting to life in your new city.
1. Private Lessons
- Practical and essential Chinese, surrounded by real-life Chinese curriculum
- 1 class per week
- Monday 19:00-20:30
- Class size- maximum 10 people with a group teacher - please consult our team for availability
- 12 weeks to complete a level
- Textbook fee- RMB 150 to be paid at Mandarin House on the first day of class
Total Course Fee (per person) (1USD = 6.4RMB)
- 4 week Chinese course – RMB 520
- 6 week Chinese course – RMB 780
- 8 week Chinese course – RMB 104
- 10 week Chinese course – RMB 1300
- 12 week Chinese course – RMB 1560
2. Group Lessons
- Practical and essential Chinese, surrounded by real-life Chinese curriculum
- 2 classes per Week
- Monday and Wednesday 19:00-20:30
- Class size- max. 10 people with a group teacher - please consult our team for availability
- 12 weeks to complete a level
- Textbook fee - RMB 150 to be paid at Mandarin House on the first day of class
Total Course Fee (per person) (1USD=6.4RMB)
- 4 week Chinese course - RMB 1040
- 6 week Chinese course - RMB 1560
- 8 week Chinese course- RMB 2080
- 10 week Chinese course - RMB 2600
- 12 week Chinese course- RMB 3120
This is the Shanghai Experience. The Intern Group in Shanghai will make sure that you have all of the resources necessary for your professional development and cultural immersion. We want you to work hard but also have the time of your life. Your internship program in Shanghai includes a wide range of cultural and social events. Check out our participants in Shanghai:
Dates & Program fees
|Convert fees to|
Program Start Dates
Alumni Discount – If you have already completed an internship program with us in the past, you are eligible for an Alumni Discount*.
*10% Alumni Discount for program start dates year round excluding peak season (June and July).
*5% Alumni Discount for program start dates in June and July.
Discount for Financial Aid Recipients–
- If you are a college student in the US receiving a Pell Grant, you are eligible for a 500 USD discount off any of our programs.
- If you are a college or university student in the UK receiving a Maintenance Loan of over £8200 or a Maintenance Grant, you are eligible for a 500 USD discount off any of our programs.
- If you are a college or university student in Australia receiving Youth Allowance, you are eligible for a 500 USD discount off any of our programs.
- If you are a college or university student in Canada receiving the Canada Student Grant (CSG), you are eligible for a 500 USD discount off any of our programs.
- If you are a college or university student in Hong Kong receiving the Tertiary Student Finance Scheme (TSFS) or Financial Assistance Scheme for Post-secondary Students (FASP), you are eligible for a 500 USD discount off any of our programs.
Please view our financing page for more information on funding your international internship program.
No application fee.
Submit application online.
Schedule an interview by phone or skype with our admissions team.
Evaluation of your interview and resume/CV by our admissions team.
If you are accepted into the program, congratulations!
Confirm your place in the program by making a deposit of 600 British Pounds.
Half of balance due
50% of your remaining fee is due within 30 days of enrollment. Our money-back guarantee covers you through the entire process.
remaining balance due
You will be asked to pay the remaining balance within 21 days of having your internship role confirmed.
pack your bags
You are ready to start the adventure of a lifetime!