Published on April 23, 2015
After a challenging day working at your internship abroad in Madrid, you’ll feel the urge to unwind the Spanish way with a glass of sangria and a couple orders of Spain's legendary appetizers called tapas. The tradition of the tapeo is often experienced out at a bar or restaurant. The following are just a few of the many typical (and tasty) tapas Madrid has to offer.
What to eat in Madrid
1. Patatas bravas – Delicious fried potatoes, served hot and often with a spicy tomato sauce or aioli. Order these with caution - they're addictive!
2. Tortilla Española – An tasty egg omelet made with potato and fried. Many times a tortilla will include onion, peppers and ham.
3. Croquetas de jamón – Lightly breaded and fried ham fritters. Just accept that once you start, you won’t be able to stop eating them.
4. Oreja a la plancha – Grilled pigs ear. You heard me. Served often with a spicy sauce, garlic and parsley.
5. Gambas al ajillo – You can't go wrong with these peeled prawns cooked with garlic and olive oil. Served hot!
6. Caracoles a la madrileña – These snails cooked with a meat broth are tastier than they sound. Live up the multicultural experience and try something adventurous!
7. Albóndigas en salsa – Meatballs served in sauce, sometimes tomato-based, often made with olive oil, garlic and onions.
8. Callos a la madrileña – Cow guts cooked with a meat broth, sliced sausage and ham. Don’t knock it till you try it!
Click here to learn more about our internship programs in Madrid!